Welcome to fatherhood
Waiting for your baby to be born is a time of preparation. As well as getting ready for your baby’s arrival, have you asked yourself what kind of dad you want to be?
Here are some questions that might be helpful to think about before your baby arrives:
- What was positive about how you were raised?
- What would you like to do differently?
- As a child, what were your expectations of your parents?
- What values are important to you – kindness, respect, sharing?
- What role do you expect to play as a dad?
- What excites you about fatherhood?
- What does your partner expect of you – and does this align with your expectations?
- What hopes and dreams do you and your partner have for your child?
- How will you take care of yourself and your partner, and do your best as a dad?
- How do you think your baby will affect your other relationships?
- What things do you expect to stay the same?
- How will you balance work and family?
- What do you need more information about?
Watch the “Transition to fatherhood” video
If any of these questions raise a strong emotional response for you, and you need to talk to someone, call:
Lifeline: 13 11 14
MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
Beyond Blue support service: 1300 22 46 36